In memoriam: John Bohn (1959-2019)

In memoriam: John Bohn
John Bohn


On Wednesday, October 30, photographer, John Bohn passed away. He was age 59 and had suffered a massive heart attack. He lived in Atlanta, Georgia and his sister, Rose was at his bedside when he died. Many of us knew John from his several years in Boston, where he worked first as a staff photographer at the Patriot Ledger and then for sixteen years at the Boston Globe where in addition to daily assignments, he covered the Olympics, the World Series, and several Super Bowls.

Writes photographer, Gary Higgins, “I shared a longtime friendship with John and my heart is heavy with sadness at his loss. We met over 30 years ago when we were both beginning as staff photographers at the Patriot Ledger, working the night shift, shooting a lot of sports and living in Hull. This meant we were also hanging with Tom Herde, who shared the same schedule and also lived in Hull.

John was an eagle eye who could nail any moment with precision and everything was always tack sharp.

He always insisted on the very best gear and would spend his salary to own it. John possessed a quiet and polite demeanor, but his mind was always focused on image making. He loved going to Northern Short Courses and anything NPPA related, where he could talk photography and gear and be around those who shared his passion and were proud and thrilled to be photojournalists. He could tell you anything you’d ever want to know about airplanes, military history and camera gear and was passionate about his craft. More than anything, John was a great guy, fun to hang out or to have a beer with. Next round is on me, my friend.”

When John left Boston it was to work as an editor for CNN in Atlanta and to be nearer to his sister, Rose. She wrote these words,” It is with a heavy heart that I tell you John went to heaven today at about 12:20 pm. He seemed at rest when I arrived in his room this morning. I spoke with him for a few hours. He was under heavy sedation but looked so restful. We listened to music and I reminisced again with him as I held his hand. I told him again what incredible friends he has! Special friendships that have lasted a lifetime! What a blessing you each have been to John. For that I am so grateful! As I spoke to him and held his hand, John passed within 30 seconds of being taken off his life support. It was peaceful.”

Rose plans to cremate John and scatter his ashes in places that were special to him, including Quincy and Hull. “This Spring I hope to begin planning some sort of Celebration of Life for John. I would love to know if you would be interested in being a part of this. (Suggestions are welcomed!) I would be honored to meet/reconnect with each one of you and give you a huge hug from me and John!”

Rose asks that you please send your email address to her at:

Here is a gallery of John’s Globe work: